Monday, January 2, 2012

traveling tips


Direction 

It is amazing how often people use their GPS to get them places and how little people use maps.  Get a map of the area you are in, including any area you might go to.  Keep that handy as you are out and about.  with the notes of turning in .03 miles a person can get so focused on the turns not to even realize the road they are on or the area they are in.  And in the recent case of our Dallas trip, I used my iPhone and iPad.  They would time out on the pages before I got to where I was going and I would have to reset them.  UGH!  It almost made me not want to go ANYWHERE!  When you are in a different area, make the most of it.  If the technology frustrates you, GET A MAP!  It will save a headache!  

Planning 

Failure to plan is planning to FAIL.  This is soooo true.  To make the most of the trip it requires PLANNING.  Take the time and look at all the options in the area.  Discuss with the fellow travelers what they would like to do.  Develop a timeline for the activities and look to see what other activities are in your area. This can be VERY time consuming and it is a LOT of work, however, when the time comes for the trip, planning will pay off in a HUGE way.  You will have time to accomplish the things you want to.  The only bad thing is that if you are the planner, even when it comes time for the trip your work isn't done.  Now you are the travel guide.  No rest for the weary.   

Personally 

what does this have to do with Bucket List Living?  EVERYTHING.  If you don't PLAN to accomplish any of your list items, you WON'T.  This is YOUR list, take control.  You can't be passive aggressive on this.  My opinion, you have put forth the time effort and energy in planning the trip, getting maps, etc and you are going to be the tour guide - the LEAST you can do is schedule time for your list items.  Sounds selfish doesn't it?  Well, just remember - if you wait, you WON'T!  No one is going to do your list for you.  As someone who is a people pleaser I try to do everything to help everyone else's trip go well, which usually means I'm worn out traveling.  I get cranky and that isn't good.  Don't over plan, have reasonable expectations.  And don't let another travelers unreasonable request stress you out.  Use the word - NO!  I said it was okay!! 

Balance 


When planning and gathering information it is important to remember balance. Don't plan a WHOLE trip over trying to accomplish your bucket list items unless that was the purpose for the trip.  If you are traveling with others keep in mind they may not have those events on their task list for the day...  Don't hog the trip...  Most items are more fun with company...   Bucket List Project - planning our trip to Italy - i found a Groupon for Italian lessons, I bought a travel book.  I'm going to figure out the timeline and what my Bucket List items are that will coordinate with the trip and then I will sit down with my fellow travelers (family).  Please be in prayer for me and them...  lol!  But seriously!!!

0 comments:

Why -Bucket List Living NOW?

This is the short answer -

Several years ago my sister and I went sky diving. A day later I visited my FIL who was fighting cancer at the time and I told him what I had just done, his reply - "I always wanted to do that and now I never will get to." Why do we wait until the end of our lives to start living our dreams? And doing the things we want to do? I'm done waiting on something else to happen before I choose ME - I'm bucket list living NOW!



Please join my adventure! If you wait, you WON'T!







Labels

20 year reunion 3.14 50 states 80's A1A Adele adoption Andrew McCarthy Andrew Thorp anniversary Ark. Arkansas Arkansas Travelers Arvil Lavigne Astoria Aunt HAP Back to school Bahamas balance Baseball beach Beyonce Big Lots Birthday Bon Jovi Boston bridesmaid Broadway Show Bruce Springsteen Bucket List Bucket List Living NOW Bumble Bee Camaro Carpe Diem Castle Gap Jewelry Chad Kroeger Cheesecake Factory Chicago Christian Coach college Comedy COMPLETED Coney Island Dad David Letterman David Tutera Dean Def Leopard Deliverance Doctor Pepper (different from Dr. Pepper) Don Don't you forget about me double decker bus tour Dr. Pepper dreams Drew Barrymore drive-in movie Duncan Donuts Ellie Mae European Vacation Family FAO Schwartz FINALLY Friday Florida Keys fur babies Garth Brooks GOOD BOOK Goonies Graduation Grammys Grandpa Gil Granny A Granpa Billy Granpa in a box Grease 2 Groupons Hamburger U Hope Floats Hot air balloon ride I was Here if you wait you WON'T inspiration Italy Jason Aldean Jimmy Charles Dancer Jimmy Choo John Cusack John Hughes Julia Roberts Justin Moore Kenny Chesney Kevin Lady Antebellum Lamborghini Larry the Cable Guy Limo ride LL Cool J Looney Bin Luke Madison maps Marilyn McCoo Martha Mary mayans Monticello Multiple Myeloma Music Monday Nanny NASCAR Nate Berkus New Years New York City Nickleback North Carolina Notebook open mic Patrick Swayze Paul McCartney Pi Pi Day Play ball Point Break Poyen Prayer Preacher's wife Pretty Woman Prom Pye family Rascal Flatts reel-to-reel Rhianna Road Trip Robin Williams Rockettes Rooster S.S. Saturday Saks Fifth Avenue Say Anything Secon Second City Serendipity Simply Sunday Sisser skiing Skydiving Softball Solid Gold solid gold Dancer Susan Tiff's Treats Tiffany's travel Traveling Thursday trip planning Tune-in Tuesday unanswered prayers United States Marine Corp Valentine's Viral WannaBee wedding What's Up Wednesday Whitney Houston
Powered By Blogger
Powered by Blogger.