Sunday, January 1, 2012

Groupon to go


I knew a week before the trip that we were going to Dallas, so I had an opportunity to look for Groupons in the area.  From my previous post you know that the Dr Pepper tour was a Groupon that ended up as a new addition to my Bucket List.  Here's the thing, Groupons are easy ways to not only save money, but also to find other things to do in an area you may not have thought of and to be honest may NEVER have thought of.  I have purchased many from the Little Rock area since I live there and find GREAT value in them, but Groupons to go, WOW!  What a cool way to experience a new town.   

Groupon to Dublin Dr Pepper Bottling Factory - the OLDEST in the world.  

I had never heard of it before my Groupon.  It didn't even come up in my internet search of things to do in Dallas.  Probably b/c it is 2 hours FROM Dallas.  But all the same, who knew.  My DS LOVES cola memorabilia.  His main focus is Coke, but since we LOVE Dr Pepper as a drink and it has been in my life since well...  1989, yea, worthy of a 2 hour drive.  What we found out was that this is a small business of sorts.  

They have quite a story and I highly recommend you reading ab it and for that matter making the trip to take the tour.  Their Dr Pepper was like no other.  Seriously, I have been drinking Dr Pepper for more than 20 years and I can tell you, there is a difference.  They do receive the syrup from Dr Pepper corporate, but Dublin mixes and bottles their own formula.  Instead of "high fructose corn syrup" they use SUGAR.  Imperial Sugar to be exact!  

The mix is well, WOW!  The Groupon had a "Frosty Pepper" available after the tour.  I would not have ordered the Frosty Pepper without the Groupon bc they are 4.50 however I took my paid for drink and it was - HEAVENLY!  Having had one, yep, I would pay the 4.50 for another one.  They have just recently completed a "Musuem" across the street which is a result of the owners collection of Dr. Pepper things.  It was a nice addition to the tour at no additional charge, I am in bargaining heaven!  As you walk in the door to pay, they have a counter of souveniers for purchase, some were vintage, some were new.  DS was happy to add 3 new bottles to his soda collection.  Anyway, I digress, we also took advantage of a menu at the Soda Fountain there and had some late lunch - it was really good.  You can purchase cases of Coke for 10 which is a reasonable cost.  Their cans are different than the other Dr Pepper cans (also makes DS happy).  You can also buy a case of bottled Dr Pepper, will have to look at the receipt for that cost, this is the best gift for him.  There are 4 6-packs to a case, that means he gets to save 2 and drink 2.  If you are lucky maybe he will share. lol!  Cool thing - they have a map of all the visitors, WOW!  They have had people from all over come there.  The town of Dublin is quaint, but not worth 2 hours drive without Dr Pepper!  They do have a festival each year where they change the name of the town to Dr Pepper, Texas.  Too cool!  My recommendation is to visit them on a week day or Friday before 2.  By the time we left at 4 the place was getting packed.  You can still experience the tour and everything, but I get claustraphobic, which is why I am recommending the alternate times, though i will also admit I would have done the full experience even on a weekend more people and all.  http://www.dublindrpepper.com/  I'm having issues posting pics with the ipad, so I'll have to insert them later.  Bear with me.  ;) 

Groupon for Castle Gap Jewelry = yes, I was the sucker there...  

Groupons are a GREAT way for businesses to get new people in the door.  I LOVE me some sterling silver jewelry so 25 for 60 worth of jewelry was a no brainer.  Bad thing, you can't combine groupon with other deals.  I found this ring for 80.  It was on sale 30% off, bringing the cost to 56, but I couldn't combine it for another deal.  I used my Groupon for the ring and paid the additional 20 for the overage to equal 80 cost not on sale - end result I still saved $16 and got a REALLY nice ring.   Downside - anyone who knows me knows I can't have a piece of jewelry that doesn't match anything.  I have to have the whole matching set.  DUH!  Well, another 175 later I had the whole ensemble.  If the rest of the set would not have been 30% off I would have left it there.  After looking at the pics hopefully you will agree it was a good deal, if not, I don't care, it makes me happy! http://www.castlegap.com/  


Groupon for Tiff's Treats 
I didn't know there was such, that said, I love my friend Groupon!!!  My DH LOVES oatmeal raison cookies.  As a gift, I bought the Groupon for him.  Here's the deal with Tiffs Treats, you order them online and set a time for pick up or delivery of Hot cookies!!  We picked them up (saved me 3.50, lol!)   The boxes were warm.  The cookies smelled AWESOME!  And before we made it back to the hotel I had tried one of the chocolate chip, oatmeal chocolate chip and sugar cookies.  They sell them by the half or full dozen.  I felt that to report on the cookies I needed a good cross section.  My midsection will not be so appreciative, but me - Oh MY, add Tiff's treats to your Dallas experience!  If you LOVE cookies, yep I was Sooooooo happy to find them.  And wouldn't have even known without my friend Groupon.  No I will admit I spent more than my Groupon once again, but it was WORTH IT!  Taking some of Tiff's goodness home...  (Maybe they will make it that far!) http://www.cookiedelivery.com/  

----------------------

I know what you are thinking, this is a blog ab Bucket List Living NOW!  Why the dissertation on Groupon?  First of all, I want people to know the joy of a Groupon and the reality of it.  Second of all, I want people to realize that the Groupon will get you thinking out of your box.  I mean without Groupon I wouldn't have even known about Dublin Dr Pepper which became a write in for my bucket list.   more ab Groupons - http://www.groupon.com/r/uu14606560 (yes, if you join Groupon under my link I get a $10 credit!  Once you join, you can get credits by sharing the joy of Groupon too!)    Enough dissertations, back to Bucket List Living NOW!  I have a Cheesecake Factory to visit.  Oh yea!  

0 comments:

Why -Bucket List Living NOW?

This is the short answer -

Several years ago my sister and I went sky diving. A day later I visited my FIL who was fighting cancer at the time and I told him what I had just done, his reply - "I always wanted to do that and now I never will get to." Why do we wait until the end of our lives to start living our dreams? And doing the things we want to do? I'm done waiting on something else to happen before I choose ME - I'm bucket list living NOW!



Please join my adventure! If you wait, you WON'T!







Labels

20 year reunion 3.14 50 states 80's A1A Adele adoption Andrew McCarthy Andrew Thorp anniversary Ark. Arkansas Arkansas Travelers Arvil Lavigne Astoria Aunt HAP Back to school Bahamas balance Baseball beach Beyonce Big Lots Birthday Bon Jovi Boston bridesmaid Broadway Show Bruce Springsteen Bucket List Bucket List Living NOW Bumble Bee Camaro Carpe Diem Castle Gap Jewelry Chad Kroeger Cheesecake Factory Chicago Christian Coach college Comedy COMPLETED Coney Island Dad David Letterman David Tutera Dean Def Leopard Deliverance Doctor Pepper (different from Dr. Pepper) Don Don't you forget about me double decker bus tour Dr. Pepper dreams Drew Barrymore drive-in movie Duncan Donuts Ellie Mae European Vacation Family FAO Schwartz FINALLY Friday Florida Keys fur babies Garth Brooks GOOD BOOK Goonies Graduation Grammys Grandpa Gil Granny A Granpa Billy Granpa in a box Grease 2 Groupons Hamburger U Hope Floats Hot air balloon ride I was Here if you wait you WON'T inspiration Italy Jason Aldean Jimmy Charles Dancer Jimmy Choo John Cusack John Hughes Julia Roberts Justin Moore Kenny Chesney Kevin Lady Antebellum Lamborghini Larry the Cable Guy Limo ride LL Cool J Looney Bin Luke Madison maps Marilyn McCoo Martha Mary mayans Monticello Multiple Myeloma Music Monday Nanny NASCAR Nate Berkus New Years New York City Nickleback North Carolina Notebook open mic Patrick Swayze Paul McCartney Pi Pi Day Play ball Point Break Poyen Prayer Preacher's wife Pretty Woman Prom Pye family Rascal Flatts reel-to-reel Rhianna Road Trip Robin Williams Rockettes Rooster S.S. Saturday Saks Fifth Avenue Say Anything Secon Second City Serendipity Simply Sunday Sisser skiing Skydiving Softball Solid Gold solid gold Dancer Susan Tiff's Treats Tiffany's travel Traveling Thursday trip planning Tune-in Tuesday unanswered prayers United States Marine Corp Valentine's Viral WannaBee wedding What's Up Wednesday Whitney Houston
Powered By Blogger
Powered by Blogger.