Saturday, February 25, 2012

S.S. Saturday, my Cousin, Donnie


Today's Someone Special is dedicated to my new-found cousin, Donnie. 

When looking for info on my Grandpa Gil, my aunt gave me the e-mail address for our cousin Donnie.  Poor Donnie!  I am sure he was overwhelmed after my first e-mail...  then we tried to connect, but that was during the time that my Granpa Billy died and life was so busy. 

The first time we talked on the phone I was at my parents with my Mom and it was 2 weeks before our planned trip...  He was so excited to hear about the visit and even offered to let us stay with him and his wife..

Let me just say, it was a weekend that was just meant to be from the beginning!!  Donnie and his wife Linda were the most awesome hosts!  Their home was beautiful and their hearts were warm.  We laughed, we cried and while sharing old memories, we made lots of new ones.  


I could sing the praises of all that Donnie shared with us and I can say you will learn more as time goes on, but the most important thing is that he introduced us to our Grandpa Gil.  Grandpa Gil is no longer a stern military picture my parent's room.  He is a fun-loving, practical jokester too.  He knew how to work hard and seemed to play harder.  Donnie was there over the years and looked up to Grandpa Gil.  They had common interests and the opportunity to share space and time.

I can't Thank Donnie enough...  He took us around, showed us pictures and set up the reel-to-reel (more on that Monday)...  I think I may have taken a year or 2 off his life by leaving my purse at McDonald's, but I hope the laughs and tears make up for that. 

Before we left their home on Saturday evening, Dad skyped in.  Notice the  minute I realize my iPad is ringing... 








While we were on Skype Donnie presented Dad with Grandpa Gil's dog tags.  It was a teary sweet moment...  Bridged between North Carolina and Italy by Skype...  


On the way back home we Skyped with Dad sharing all that happened on the trip.  Dad said to me, "I sure do wish ya'll could have met him (Grandpa Gil) he was a really neat man."  I replied back, "We met him this weekend, Dad."

Dad said wiping his tears, "Boo, I'm just thankful your bucket is big enough for all of us."  --  That right there was the cherry on top of a perfect weekend.  I am too Daddy, I am too!


Photobucket

0 comments:

Why -Bucket List Living NOW?

This is the short answer -

Several years ago my sister and I went sky diving. A day later I visited my FIL who was fighting cancer at the time and I told him what I had just done, his reply - "I always wanted to do that and now I never will get to." Why do we wait until the end of our lives to start living our dreams? And doing the things we want to do? I'm done waiting on something else to happen before I choose ME - I'm bucket list living NOW!



Please join my adventure! If you wait, you WON'T!







Labels

20 year reunion 3.14 50 states 80's A1A Adele adoption Andrew McCarthy Andrew Thorp anniversary Ark. Arkansas Arkansas Travelers Arvil Lavigne Astoria Aunt HAP Back to school Bahamas balance Baseball beach Beyonce Big Lots Birthday Bon Jovi Boston bridesmaid Broadway Show Bruce Springsteen Bucket List Bucket List Living NOW Bumble Bee Camaro Carpe Diem Castle Gap Jewelry Chad Kroeger Cheesecake Factory Chicago Christian Coach college Comedy COMPLETED Coney Island Dad David Letterman David Tutera Dean Def Leopard Deliverance Doctor Pepper (different from Dr. Pepper) Don Don't you forget about me double decker bus tour Dr. Pepper dreams Drew Barrymore drive-in movie Duncan Donuts Ellie Mae European Vacation Family FAO Schwartz FINALLY Friday Florida Keys fur babies Garth Brooks GOOD BOOK Goonies Graduation Grammys Grandpa Gil Granny A Granpa Billy Granpa in a box Grease 2 Groupons Hamburger U Hope Floats Hot air balloon ride I was Here if you wait you WON'T inspiration Italy Jason Aldean Jimmy Charles Dancer Jimmy Choo John Cusack John Hughes Julia Roberts Justin Moore Kenny Chesney Kevin Lady Antebellum Lamborghini Larry the Cable Guy Limo ride LL Cool J Looney Bin Luke Madison maps Marilyn McCoo Martha Mary mayans Monticello Multiple Myeloma Music Monday Nanny NASCAR Nate Berkus New Years New York City Nickleback North Carolina Notebook open mic Patrick Swayze Paul McCartney Pi Pi Day Play ball Point Break Poyen Prayer Preacher's wife Pretty Woman Prom Pye family Rascal Flatts reel-to-reel Rhianna Road Trip Robin Williams Rockettes Rooster S.S. Saturday Saks Fifth Avenue Say Anything Secon Second City Serendipity Simply Sunday Sisser skiing Skydiving Softball Solid Gold solid gold Dancer Susan Tiff's Treats Tiffany's travel Traveling Thursday trip planning Tune-in Tuesday unanswered prayers United States Marine Corp Valentine's Viral WannaBee wedding What's Up Wednesday Whitney Houston
Powered By Blogger
Powered by Blogger.